Sunday, June 12, 2011

TODAY IN BEATING VIDEO GAMES



Everyone attacks a new video game in different ways. Some play it straight for a week until they beat it, some people are happy just to beat the final boss, some people must complete 100 %, and some people (me) do it like this:  
Step One:  I get the game. Der.
Step Two: I dive right in and play it pretty consistently for a week or so. I talk about nothing else. But I do not sacrifice sleep or meals or walking the dog. I am, after all, a gentlelady.
Step Three: As time passes I'll pick it up every once in a while for an hour or two.
Step Four: Eventually, about 6 months- 1 year later, I'll pick it back up, power through, and beat it, usually on a whim while perusing my game shelf.
Step Five: I finally start going for a 100% completion with collectables and what not.
This patented method is more focused on the experience of playing then beating the game, CLEARLY, and has the added bonus of keeping a game in my life for 1 year +.
And while it is a system that works best for me, it occasionally bites me in the ass butt. Currently I am in Step Three or Four of SIX SEPARATE GAMES:
1) Kirby's Epic Yarn (almost 100 percent, played up to the last boss.)
2) Donkey Kong Country Returns (In the Factory World, unlocked the first 3 temples, stalled after that, just trying to make it to the end).
3) Pokémon White Version (Solidly half way through. Pokédex at around 4o%.)
4) Professor Layton and the Curious Village (6 hours in, the puzzles are harder then the ones  from Diabolical Box, and I find I need to play with a notebook at my side.)
6) Crono Trigger DS (Resenting that I have to go back and open all the locked treasure chests and then go forward and collect the booty. Not sure why I am so hung up on that because it is OPTIONAL.) 
And just to make life even more complicated I started playing GoldenEye 007, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and Super Mario Land. I'm not as committed to these games but I still have them in my heart.
The reason this is all so tense for me right now is that The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D in coming out next week and I very much want to buy it and play it and love it and beat it and play the master quest and play boss challenge mode. But I really, really feel like I should beat these games first. Maybe not 100%, but I need to see the final title screen before I jump into the next game. 
Does that mean that I won't buy The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D when it comes out next week? NO. I means that I need to beat 6 games in 7 days. 
I will let you know how it goes. 

No comments: